Tuesday, 3 December 2013

At Seventeen by Janis Ian

Have you heard this song?.... At Seventeen.  So soothing in a way.

I'm sure many can relate, I certainly can.  What a turbulent time in a young girl's life. 

The insecurity, fear, no self confidence and uncertainty about who I was or should be, lacking the solid foundation of a stable family for support.  How was I ever meant to find out who I was if I didn't have a sturdy platform to start off with?  Always the new girl in town, always on the verge of friendship circles, never feeling 100% part of anything. The more I desperately tried to fit in, the more I felt like the outsider.  With an unhappy home life on top of this, no, I definitely do not want that time over again.  Such a young and tender age, so impressionable by life and what lies ahead, and the realisation that real life sometimes hurts too much to bear (or so it feels).


So easy to lose your footing, for me it was easier to be what other people wanted or expected me to be.  To disappear and blend in with the scenery. 

How much I've learnt and changed since then.  Such a different time, a different person it feels, yet still me.  

No, I wouldn't want to go back thank you very much!




No comments:

Post a Comment